The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trethevy Quoit
14 messages
Select a forum:
Megalithics wrote:
Mr Hamhead wrote:
I don't believe the capstone ever sat on just the back and front uprights...I think the back upright fell when the capstone was dragged into place.
Mr H

Interesting, so do you believe the monument was abandoned during construction after the back slab fell?

Considering the expertise in juggling multi-ton lumps of rock shown by the rest of the monument, it would seem that a back-slab re-erection would not have been too much trouble.

No...I think the whole thing was surrounded by a mound....when they dragged the capstone up the mound the side stone fell in. I think they would have continued to use it, entering from the other side.....
...the same could have happened at Mulfra and Zennor.....
As you correctly state, we'll never know.

You can almost hear the builders - "Easy, easy, just a couple of (insert period correct length units here) more, nearly there, CRUNCH! - OH BU@@ER!"

Maggie & Keith

Reply | with quote
Mr Hamhead
Posted by Mr Hamhead
25th May 2010ce
19:39

In reply to:

Re: Trethevy Quoit (Megalithics)

2 replies:

Re: Trethevy Quoit (Mr Hamhead)
Re: Trethevy Quoit (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: