The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cornwall Forum Start a topic | Search
Cornwall
Re: Cornwall
10 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Oh, it's a joy - less than two months before we go down again, can't wait.

June - when's your trip down to Penwith? Must be imminent?

Thanks for asking tsc. I went last Saturday and arrived home at about 7.00pm this evening (Saturday). It was a fabulous week, stayed in a little flat in Penzance overlooking the harbour and St Michael's Mount. The weather was the best I've ever had on holiday in this country (perhaps there is a god after all). Walked to the Merry Maidens/Pipers menhirs on the first day - from Paul/Sheffield and went back again via the coastal path and Lamorna a couple of days later. Last time I did that walk several years ago my companion confessed to being terrified of heights just as Lamorna came into view - so we went back to Mousehole. This time the walk was completed, then onto Merry Maidens overland from Lamorna Wink - discovered a bus stop back to Penzance right by the field gate (bus due in 20 minutes, cherry on the cake).

The best of all was walking to Boskawen-Un across the fields from St Buryan. Followed the directions in a leaflet picked up at Penzance Information Centre and surprisingly didn't get lost. The sun was shining, the sky was crystal clear, a fresh breeze; and like everyone else fell in love with this magical little stone circle surrounded by yellow gorse and white blackthorn blossom. Sitting quietly for a bit contemplating this special place a pale half moon appeared in the afternoon sky.

Didn't get up to the Duloe Circle or Looe, very happy to stay in Penwith ... there will be another time I'm sure.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
24th April 2010ce
22:04

In reply to:

Re: Cornwall (thesweetcheat)

2 replies:

Re: Cornwall (Mr Hamhead)
Re: Cornwall (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: