The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Orkney Trip
46 messages
Select a forum:
Can't help with the problems of expense. When Loie and I did Driving the Stone Age I; Spring 1999; we stayed in nice b&bs. Less expensive than hotels, perhaps, but not like sleeping in the caravan. We used the Scottish Tourist Board offices to book a place in the next town before we left the current one. Worked like a charm, except for one time when an office closed early. In that case, we just drove on and found a place to stay by looking for signs!

Our hostess at Kilmore gave us a tip. Book only one night at the B & B until you get there, then make it two nights. This saves the 10% commission taken by the Tourist Board on the second night. We did just that.

We flew to Glasgow, arrived Tues, 5/25/99, grabbed hire car and drove to Drumnadrochit. (Corrimony Cairn, Balnuaran of Clava (Clava Cairns), Learable Hill.)

Thurs. 5/27/99 we drove to Uig and ferried to Tarbert. (The McLeod Stone, Callanish I. Unnamed cairn viewed from car. Ceann Thulabhaig. Callanish II & III.)

Sat 5/29/99 we ferried from Stornoway to Ullapool and drove to Thurso. That's where we had to search out a b&b.

Sunday 5/30/99 departed Scrabster via ferry to Stromness. (Ring of Brodgar. Skara Brae. Marwick Head. Stones of Stenness. View of unnamed standing stone. Barnhouse. Salt Knowe. Unstan Tomb. Maes Howe. Isbister (Tomb of Eagles).)

Wednesday, 6/2/99 departed Stromness via ferry for Scrabster. Drove to Kennethmont via the Templestones. (Easter Aquhorthies. Castle Fraser stones. Sunhoney. Cullerlie. Archaeolink. Loanhead of Daviot. Nameless Stanes of Earlsfield Farm. Guise Farm. Midmar Kirk.)

After that we went on to Peebles for a couple days. (Rosslyn Chapel. Edinburgh: Royal Museum of Scotland, Grayfriars Bobby, Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile, Deacon Brody’s House, Advocate’s Close. The Borders. Bellingham, England. Goatstones. Hadrian’s Wall.)

Would have been nice to have more time in each place, but we saw the highlights and loved every minute. On Orkney, see if the Jollys are still making kippers. Yum.

Man, I can't believe we moved so many times that trip. Now, we go to one rental house or apartment and stay a week or 10 days. Hah! Must be getting old.

Reply | with quote
Posted by BuckyE
23rd March 2010ce
07:38

In reply to:

Orkney Trip (sleeptowin)

1 reply:

Re: Orkney Trip (tjj)

Messages in this topic: