The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Orkney Trip
46 messages
Select a forum:
goffik wrote:

[EDIT - Actually, I seem to remember someone doing the Lewis-Orkney run in a limited time a few years back on here - can't remember who it was, but I do remember thinking they were bonkers doing it in such a short space of time! They had a great time, though, whoever it was! :) It should be somewhere in the forum's archives if I had time to seek it out... ]

We drove up to Helmsdale from Leeds in a day. Easy peasy. B&B in Helmsdale then up early for the Scrabster-Stromness ferry next morning. On the way back, we got the 4pm ferry, arrived in Helmsdale about 8pm to find that our (booked) B&B room had already been taken. We decided to just keep driving - through the night. This turned out to be brilliant as there was no traffic to delay us and we saved the money on the B&B. We got back to Leeds at about 3.30/4am as I recall.

We did the drive-through-the-night-thing a couple of years later when we went to Lewis. Ullapool to Oxford in about 8 hours. You can maintain steady speed all the way and just stop for coffee and a wee.

We found a week on Orkney was enough to do it quite thoroughly, though our daily 'strike rate' of sites can be quite punishing!

Reply | with quote
Jane
Posted by Jane
16th February 2010ce
19:55

In reply to:

Re: Orkney Trip (goffik)

Messages in this topic: