The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Orkney Trip
46 messages
Select a forum:
cHARLIE wrote:
Avoid the town centre pubs in Thurso, the locals can be hostile towards English folk. Sad but true. Thurso isn't a nice place really.
Enjoy Orkney it's a lovely place and the Orkney folk are much nicer!

(((Charlie born in England, brought up in Thurso)))

Because it was light for so long when I was in Thurso, albeit only for a couple of days, I opted for exploring the town in the evenings rather than sitting in the hotel bar with others in the group I travelled with. Had a lovely walk along a riverside park where there was some sort of festival going on with the local school kids doing performances at various spots around the town - proud parents in tow; one of my favourite ways of passing time is observing ordinary people going about their lives.

In a cafe in Stromness on Orkney and got to hear the life story of a man sitting there waiting for his family - he was from Edinburgh.
In the Stromness Bookshop I spoke to the owner for just five minutes - he was American who had lived many years on Orkney, he showed me a photograph in one his books of a beautiful Swedish woman; she was his wife who had died two years previously. Those five minutes stayed with me for a long time after I left the shop.

People are great where ever you go - but alcohol does seem to bring out the worst.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
16th February 2010ce
15:52

In reply to:

Re: Orkney Trip (cHARLIE)

1 reply:

Re: Orkney Trip (Mustard)

Messages in this topic: