The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Orkney Trip
46 messages
Select a forum:
Branwen wrote:
Oh aye - I was up that way with my Liverpudlian husband and the intimidating stares were directed half at him and half at the kareoke machine no one wanted in their pub. My husband decided to go with it - and got up and SANG. Now - he's tone deaf, AND they hated him for being english AND for firing up the kareoke. He continued on regardless through an american song (even worse) in tone deaf fashion - as the audience yelled at him to shut the feck up and various other comments. I thought they were gonna kill him. The song finished amid more catcalls and thank fecks its over - at which point my husband put another one on. By the end of the second song they were laughing and we had drinks bought for us, though not without lot of joking about stealing "their women" and suchlike.

My husband said he didnt understand a word they were saying later, and was too busy watching the kareoke machine to see the gestures... poor sod came close to a kicking many times while we were married without knowing it....

Branwen we've found the 'cure' for midges and ticks, but why (I know this is a foolish historical question) why do they (the islanders) hate the english? I know some TMaers may not necessarily be up to standard when they visit ;) but do the people of the Orkneys value their heritage as much as the tourists do?

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
16th February 2010ce
13:44

In reply to:

Re: Orkney Trip (Branwen)

1 reply:

Re: Orkney Trip (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: