The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: The Red Lion
21 messages
Select a forum:
Moth wrote:
We've been there a few times over the years. Only when Scousemaiden and ToxicDelirium ran it was it any good at all. We were there last year and the food was overpriced, slow-to-arrive kakababashite. 'Waggon and horses' for us next time, I think! I suspect there are fewer yogurt-weaving, crystal-gazing mumbo-jumbistas there too.

How do you weave yoghurt?

The food aside, I have to defend the Red Lion, unfashionable though it is to do so; it is a historic building unususal in having a well in its front room with lots of 'haunted' stories attached. Although I don't patronise the establishment much, I often use their bench/tables while waiting for a bus ... a great place to people watch. Sitting there you realise just how much Avebury is a true crossroads as people of all nationalities (not just new-age/pagans) wander by.

It is also a welcome refuge from the elements ... perhaps someone should start a petition to coerce the owners to provide a better culinary service. Speaking personally though, I don't go to Avebury to eat.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
12th February 2010ce
19:11

In reply to:

Re: The Red Lion (Moth)

1 reply:

Re: The Red Lion (Branwen)

Messages in this topic: