The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Post Discover Avebury Weekend Blast
3 messages
Select a forum:
For a start to the weekend Friday night was pretty darned good, I'm sure we'll all agree. Dr. Burl is a sweetie and the Dr. Gillespie chappie will get many a young school girl interested in archaeologists if not archaeology itself!!

After the talks while people were mobbing the glorious Aubrey fella out side the museum tavern I strolled over to him and thanked him. He said to me one of the funniest things I had heard all night. He indicated towards Burl and said, "Glad I'm not famous". Oh I larfed! No, mate, you only rediscovered the Beckhampton Avenue - you only put to bed one of the greatest archaeological 'sour' points of all time. No, you're not famous are you!?

What a lovely and unassuming character!

Saturday we ambled over to Avebury via Uffington, Wayland's, the Sanctuary, Silbury and West Kennett LB. In the evening we were treated to a tour of a section of the Wansdyke, by a local bloke, down to Adam's Grave and Knap Hill.

Walking up the spine of Adam's grave to be thrown off your mental feet as the Vale of Pewsey explodes before you is a must do thing. Next time you're that way give it a go.

The sunday we just stopped off at Stonehenge, Woodhenge and Durrington Walls. Now there's a big place!

Now I'm home in Dublin, itching to get out and into my local mountains to piece together some stuff that seemed to twig while up on the Ridgeway.

Thanks to Chris & Abbey - two gorgeous folk for a great weekend - and to all you others that were there. I knew this beard would be handy one day!

Lissy! As for you ... great to meet you at last. The evening could have only been made better by one thing - that would have been you bouncing that bag off everybodys heads in the row in front as you took your seat.

Ride On!! Y'all!!

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
8th July 2002ce
10:55

Messages in this topic: