The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wiltshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Wiltshire
Re: Walking in a Winter Wonderland
9 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:
Sorry just could'nt resist this one....

Is father Christmas* coming to Stonehenge - maybe not, but this article in the Telegraph did just go slightly over the top; look at that glorious photo of Stonehenge in its 'tranquil' setting and wonder whats happened to the roads..

"Just beyond the hustle of the Home Counties, Wiltshire is one of the most tranquil – and least populated – parts of the country, where patience is not just a virtue but a way of life. There are few better places to get away from it all without having to take a compass and survival kit."

http://tinyurl.com/yc2cygx

* There's a lot of reindeer antlers about in prehistory....

Hmm! An idealised image of Stonehenge indeed, if only it could be experienced like that. Here is another image you may like which is hanging in the Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum - it looks like a Japanese silkscreen painting ... of Stonehenge by moonlight. Hard to photograph because of the reflection on the glass.
Stonehenge Image
Megadread was spot-on about a small survival kit and compass. Just going by Sunday's walk across Fyfield Down, what he gallantly didn't mention was that on the way back I caught my foot in a clump of grass and tripped - I was unhurt, equilibrium quickly restored but it may have been a different story.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
19th November 2009ce
12:14

Messages in this topic: