The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Roseberry Topping Forum Start a topic | Search
Roseberry Topping
Re: Odin's Glow
23 messages
Select a forum:
Hiya kiddrahcir,
In light of your post I guess I should explain my enthusiasm.
Myself and handsome Timmo walked to Roseberry from Hutton Village. Initally the walk took us uphill through the pitch black woods along a fairly well made forestry track. At the end of the forestry track the path becomes very narrow and slippery making it rather difficult walk. As we walked this path we kept catching glimpses of the lights playing off the hill but as yet the illuminated side of the hill was hidden from us. We made it to Roseberry Common and were starting to resemble a pair of mud monsters. At the Common gate we were confronted by a huge blackfaced swaledale which just loomed silently out of the darkness, staring at us, all curley horned and sinister.

Once on the common we took the narrow, treacherous clay track down the side of Rye banks which leads you gradually round to Newton Wood. Thing is though, as we crossed underneath Rye Bank, the whole path and escarpement edge was covered in floating runes, rising up and along the bank and all around us, this completely blew us away, it was also at this point that the summit of the hill came into view, bright red, then white then golden poking up above the escarpment edge, then darkeness, then a huge shaft of light coming out of the top of the hill thrusting up to the heavens. We hung around for a while bathed in runes with our jaws firmly planted on our chests.
We moved on to Newton woods to find the wood planted with lights that kept changing colour and strobing, again this was all just a bit too mental and wonderful.
We eventually walked down to the village, and yes I agree it could have been a whole lot more but personally I'd have dumped all of the paraphanalia and just directed people into the field behind the Kings Arms, which I presume was the viewing field for the hill. That to me was the best spot in the village, the booming bassy anglo saxon poetry, the 18 runes and Beowulf booming out into the trippy darkness plus the mad hill was just about all she wrote in my book.
Timmo and I took a walk around the village, the pond was very pretty but the highlight for us was the walk, so fortified with hot chocolate we retraced our steps to Hutton. Caked in mud and sweat, sitting amongst the swirling runes with the ever changing hill looking down on us will be a memory I will smile about for a long time.
cheers
fitz

Reply | with quote
fitzcoraldo
Posted by fitzcoraldo
24th October 2009ce
12:06

In reply to:

Re: Odin's Glow (kiddrahcir)

3 replies:

Re: Odin's Glow (fitzcoraldo)
Re: Odin's Glow (Rhiannon)