The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Orkney advice please
15 messages
Select a forum:
Vicster wrote:
Hey up Mr G

Thanks to you and the others for the info.

As I have blagged a place a bit "last minute" on this trip, the accommodation is already sorted; we are taking over a B&B in Kirkwall for 3 nights. I am thinking of this as a taster, for a, hopefully, much longer trip in the not too distant future, so may get back to you about cottages etc at a later date!

I can't stop looking at my maps and books and squealing....think this one is going to blow my mind, somewhat.

Will report back - and am hoping for some weather like you had!

Vx

You will absolutely NOT be disappointed!

We drove up there, via quite a lot of places and overnight stays, from Southampton, and turned up on the island with no accommodation booked! :)

We got to the Tourist Information Centre in Stromness just as it was closing, and the best they could do was give us a brochure with loads of accommodation in it.

I phoned just about every one of them, and they were all booked! We'dagreed that if we couldn't find anything we'd spend the night in the car and find summat the next day. Luckily, while I was looking up the next phone number, my mobile went. The owner of the place that overlooked Brodgar, Loch of Stenness and Maes Howe didn't answer the phone originally but got my number and called back - she had a cancellation! So we stayed there for 3 nights then moved on to Finstown.

The pull to return there gets stronger and stronger... Reading this thread and revisiting the pages here on TMA has brought it all back... >sigh<

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
25th August 2009ce
11:11

In reply to:

Re: Orkney advice please (Vicster)

1 reply:

Re: Orkney advice please (Vicster)

Messages in this topic: