The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Which site for a cumbrian virgin. ?
34 messages
Select a forum:
The Eternal wrote:
megadread wrote:

Is it ok to take a young un up there, safety wise i mean. ?

As far as going to the top of the axe factory, i.e. the scree, which is the debris from the quarrying, it is mountain tracks all the way, and straightforward enough. The view from the top of Pike of Stickle is incredible, if you're lucky with the weather. Tomorrow is forecasting winds up to 70mph and rain.

To descend by the side and on the scree to the man-made cave is extremely steep and loose, and requires great care. Apart from the obvious hazard of cartwheeling down the scree for hundreds of feet, there is also that of sending rocks down onto anyone below you.

Whether you risk the descent would depend on age and ability, as well as your own experience. Without knowing this I can only state the conditions and let you decide.

Don't forget that the top of Pike of Stickle stands at 2,323 feet above sea level, and the weather can change in minutes, and can be very cold, even in summer. A good Lake District mountain forecast website is:-
http://www.mwis.org.uk/mountain/LD.PDF

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy yourself, and take care,

TE.

Thanks TE.
I've done a lot of hill walking and wildcamping, last one was up Pen Y Ghent in a storm with low visibility (25-50 metres) also "done" Ingleborough in crap weather, my nav is pretty good and i've got all the gear i'll need, waterproofs, good tent / sleeping bags, first aid, cooking kit etc.
I'm just info gathering at the moment as i won't be going for a while yet.
My lad (10), he's like a bloody mountain goat but i wouldn't take him over sharp / striding edge, up Jacks rake etc at the mo as he's at the gangly growing stage where he's just refinding his co-ordination and his arms and legs just do as they please, i'm probably looking to head up there in October.

Reply | with quote
megadread
Posted by megadread
16th July 2009ce
21:50

In reply to:

Re: Which site for a cumbrian virgin. ? (The Eternal)

Messages in this topic: