The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Which site for a cumbrian virgin. ?
34 messages
Select a forum:
Vicster wrote:
Sunkenkirk is a must and usually quiet. Twas a wonderful cold, wild Cumbrian day when I went up with Vicky and it felt pretty desolate. Fab.

When we visited Sunkenkirk, we appeared to be on a weather-share with the Sahara Desert! The hottest of days, with an unbroken blue sky... Apart from about 2 vehicles with friendly locals driving past, the place was deserted, and beautifully quiet... The circle was full of sheep, trying to hide in the shadows of the stones, which only scattered at the very last possible minute to stay cool that bit longer...

One of the finest stone circles I have visited. Well, top 20 at least. ;)

As for Castlerigg - I think you need to play the waiting game combined with choosing the right day. We've been loads of times now, and find that - especially midweek (assuming it's not a holiday/festival) - if you hang around long enough, you'll get the place to yourself. We managed about half an hour one time! ;)

Greycroft is an odd one... Wasn't too overgrown when we were there. The power station is an imposing sight, and the eerie, rusting train that trundles past occasionally adds to the atmosphere of a post-apocalyptic landscape! Sort of. Maybe it was the blistering heat. ;)

There's some great roads around there - lots of them that make you feel like you're driving uphill when you're not, and vice versa. Luckily the roads were pretty deserted cos I had to stop halfway "down" a hill and let the car roll "up" in reverse! Small things, eh? ;)

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
16th July 2009ce
11:21

Messages in this topic: