The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Which site for a cumbrian virgin. ?
34 messages
Select a forum:
megadread wrote:
It doesn't have to be a stone circle, i'm looking for the wow factor mainly that will stick in the memory and have me hooked and drawn back to the area (biggest hill my lad has seen is mam tor and win hill) i would like it to be somewhere away from the crowds though. i've got very good backpacking gear so being away from civilization, shops etc is no problem, i'm also pretty confident with a map and compass.
I want it to be an adventure for the lad with an overnight stay close to a site for myself, i'm sure cumbria has many places like this and i'm open to suggestions.
cheers.

Hi Megadread,
For lonely stone circles I'd recommend the Burnmoor complex, bleak and beautiful, and you could camp up there, with Scafell, the second highest mountain in England above. Good campsites and pubs exist in Eskdale.
For a sheer wow factor, well, it has to be the Pike of Stickle stone axe factory, although great care is required to reach it, as the ground is very steep and loose, and disturbance must be avoided. There is a National Trust campsite at the head of Great Langdale, although you could camp on the tops, and a fantastic boozer in the Old Dungeon Ghyll. Copt Howe rock art is nearby.
For all sites check out the nearby facilities on the links.
The usual sites will have a lot of visitors at this time of year (school hols).
Have a good 'un, wherever you go,
TE.

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
14th July 2009ce
22:59

Messages in this topic: