The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: A decade of The Modern Antiquarian
51 messages
Select a forum:
I didn't really know much about JC other than a few singles purchased around the time of "My Nation Underground". I loved that stuff - I know it's not his most popular among the die hard fans, but since then we've been filling the gaps with the back catalogue. We are both now, and have been for a few years now, big fans.

I remember seeing TMA in a shop window and thinking "hang on a minute... isn't that the bloke that did 5 O'clock World?"

We saw a couple with a copy of it on the table in a bar in Weymouth not long after, so I asked to have a peek. They happily obliged. Suffice to say I just HAD to have a copy after seeing that! Little did I know that Mrs G had already bought a copy for me as a present!

Our copy is still in pretty good condition, even though it's accompanied us from The Scilly Isles to Orkney, from Dartmoor to the Outer Hebrides, via the Peak District and the Lake District, North Wales and Northumberland, Scotland's Lowlands and Highlands... and innumerable places in between. It's had many an annotated post-it note stuck to it but the pages don't appear to have suffered any adverse effects from them! ;)

For us, our adventures were really kick-started by TMA, with it's accessibility beyond the seemingly more bland academic publications that preceded it, but also ignited our interest in these other books. It became a lot clearer when put in a more human perspective - from the perspective of the curious traveller.

It was a while before I knew there was a website accompanying the book. A friend alerted me to it's presence, and I've been hooked ever since!

Whenever we visit a new place, we first check the book, then the website to see if there's anywhere nearby worth a visit. I have stacks of printouts from the fieldnotes from all over the country that I've reused time and again...

Naturally, we went to the nearest talk to us that Julian gave when The Megalithic European was released, and he very kindly signed both books for us. (I inadvertently bumped into him in the loo beforehand, but that's another story altogether...) I was extremely honoured when he officially approved of my custom-made TMA button badge!

If it wasn't for TMA, I'd not have seen some of the most beautiful countryside, the most stunning views - hills, mountains, islands, beaches, moors, and so on - that this country has to offer!

I also have TMA to thank for meeting, in person, some of the friendliest and knowledgeable people imaginable, through the Megameets, various walks and get-togethers, archaeological experiments, offshoot groups such as Heritage Action and the Stonehengineers, and, of course, Julian Cope gigs!

So here's to The Modern Antiquarian! A most treasured possession.

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
17th July 2009ce
11:47

Messages in this topic: