The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: A decade of The Modern Antiquarian
51 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Jane, I must have got mine a couple of years later than you from Amazon, remember Pilgrim getting cross if any one bought anything from the aforesaid and not from a reputable book dealer ;), but he went off into the wilds of New Zealand to sell books elsewhere- though as we know he kept in touch.
Reading the book, after all the archaeology books I had read, it was a complete revelation, I suppose the spiritual aspect of what Julian Cope was saying struck a chord, I read his essays again and again, and I think he pointed me in a direction in which I had to satisfy my curiosity about the old paganism and stones and the role of the early christian church.
Even today I cannot look at stones or the great long barrows without that gut feeling of awe at something we know so little about. The stones themselves are beautiful, perhaps because of their remote settings within natural landscapes.
A confession, like you I met someone else in the stones community, and when my books eventually arrived in his house, he was aghast that I had thrown away the hardback cover - ;( sorry Pilgrim too....
Moss x

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
10th July 2009ce
21:05

Messages in this topic: