The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Kirkheads Forum Start a topic | Search
Kirkheads
Re: The drum carvings
40 messages
Select a forum:
Chris Collyer wrote:
I think that's pushing it a bit, maybe it was just the carver showing off. I just had a look through my photos and there's a large pond just to one side of the 'cross roads' that seems to at about the lowest point in the landscape - maybe the small chevron in the centre of the cross of the bottom panel is this pond? I'll email you a copy if you want.

-Chris

Ok, i'm on a hiding to nothing here but what the hell. ; )

1st expanded view, rh panel, the carving that looks like how a child might draw a bird, is this a marker for the pond. ?

2nd expanded view, lh panel, the diamond with the motif on top, maybe pointing to the source of water too.

3rd expanded view, rh panel, the "eyebrows" motif, looks similar to the others, is this the motif for water. ?
I'd say it looks like a motif for a spring or fountain rather than eyebrows or a face.

Saying this you'd have to accept the 1st view was upside down compared to the other 2 or carved from a different perspective, ie, the hill opposite and it would obviously depend on the age of the pond also, this, pardon the pun could easily be blown out of the water if someone knew when the pond was dug, then again if it's natural how long has it been there.
Is the pond supplied with drainage water or fed by a spring, anyone know.

A source of water and control of the crossroads would be a valuable asset to hold, maybe the carving are representing this in some way.

As ever with my ramblings feel free to rip it apart, it's just a stab in the dark. : )

Reply | with quote
megadread
Posted by megadread
9th July 2009ce
23:27

In reply to:

Re: The drum carvings (Chris Collyer)

1 reply:

Re: The drum carvings (Chris Collyer)

Messages in this topic: