The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient Figurine of Voluptuous Woman Is Found
25 messages
Select a forum:
handofdave wrote:
I think we tend to overanalyze our ancestors. It's understandable, I suppose, in the sense that we want to think of them as 'uncorrupted' beings that were more spiritually advanced than us, living in harmony with their environment, etc, but it just doesn't wash.

Our ancestors were less complicated than we are psychologically, in my opinion.. they probably weren't so hung up on the abstract interpretations of sexuality. Sex was pleasure. Sex was procreation. It wasn't burdened with the political and social constructs that we've loaded it up with.

Of course, I've got little to go on for proof here, other than intuition.

To me it seems as if we are saying more or less the same thing. I too was saying the it is all to easy to filter pre-history through our 20th century conditioning; though speaking as a woman, I was no doubt endeavouring to redress the balance of the centuries of oppression of women by the wishful thinking that once - thousands of years ago - they had equal status with men and their sexuality and fertility was something held sacred.

Of course I have no proof, as I said it was wishful thinking. We do know, however, that some of the old Semite races such as the Hebrews passed on their blood-line through the mother; this is still the case today for Jewish people.

Feminism is 20th century old hat and the last place to bring the concept up is probably a forum on archaeology. I’d like to know,however, why this subject seems to be a ‘no go area’ – we all know that woman have been exploited and suppressed throughout the centuries. In war the first thing that’s gets violated is the women, and that still happens in today’s so-called civilised world.

Those women that had knowledge of the ancient arts of healing and herbalism were burned or drowned as witches until just a few centuries ago.

June (a woman) student of herbalism and human nature.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
18th May 2009ce
00:20

Messages in this topic: