The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient Figurine of Voluptuous Woman Is Found
25 messages
Select a forum:
handofdave wrote:
Ouch, I really gotta butt in here.

Why wouldn't a figure like this not come out of a Patriarchal society?

And how do we arrive at the conclusion that our hunter-gatherer ancestors were peace loving feminists? There's not a shred of real evidence to support that. In fact, if we look at hunter gatherer societies today, we can observe violent behavior in many of them.

Sorry... I'm of the opinion that many westerners have a biased desire to think their prehistory conformed to our liberal, enlightened sensibilities. But there's absolutely nothing to go on to confirm that.

Your comments are appreciated, it could be a lively debate. I was merely reporting on a book I'm reading (with and open mind) and and qualified my post with 'the lack of evidence' slant. The word feminist was not mentioned in my post and I only suggested that the figurines that have been found could contribute to 'some evidence' that the status of women was once generally higher. Lets discount all together the feminist movement of the 20th century when looking at this argument, that is not where I was coming from at all. My perspective is from the anthropological aspect only.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
17th May 2009ce
14:16

Messages in this topic: