The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Bryn Celli Ddu Forum Start a topic | Search
Bryn Celli Ddu
Re: Chamber pillar a fossil tree trunk?
98 messages
Select a forum:
I agree with you on all counts. The Ragged Rascals sound a great bunch and I think most of us agree that 'expert' tends to mean someone who thinks they know everything worth knowing (that's slightly kinder than Julian's comments in TMA!).

The biggest problem ( IMHO ) with fossil wood is that it it is no longer wood, if you see what I mean. Having turned to stone it will erode accordingly so harsh conditions and greater age will make it harder and harder to recognise. All great fun, and I'm very happy to be wrong. I just want to know.

The reason I asked whether you had found or bought your piece was that if you had found it you could have said where. If you know where it came from you can sometimes get a better idea of possible species. Or were you really lucky and bought it from a shop that gave it a nice provenance sticker?

Reply | with quote
Rupert Soskin
Posted by Rupert Soskin
13th May 2009ce
23:47

Messages in this topic: