The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Bryn Celli Ddu Forum Start a topic | Search
Bryn Celli Ddu
Re: Chamber pillar a fossil tree trunk?
98 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Folks,
Whilst I am no expert, I do have some geological training (much of it with the brilliand Dr Alan Timms, geologist for the Natural History Museum before he retired). I also have quite a few samples of petrified wood in my own collection. It's true what Tiompan says, that many organic looking features are found occurring naturally in rocks. The thing with this pillar is that when I looked closely, none of the features fit with my own experience of mineral behaviour. The overall bark effect could simply be a rock type with multi-planar morphology (built up from loads of thin layers) but as I said in the film, the 'bark' looks like it has dragged towards the right of the cuts whereas crystal inclusions usually create clean edges which remain that way even after the inclusion itself has eroded away.

Also, the marks lower down the pillar which look like blows have a pulpy edge. Again, individually, the marks could be explained geologically but for the fact that one overlays the other.

The essential point for the builders of BCD is that it 'looks' like wood but whether it really is or not it would be great to have it nailed by experts.

Reply | with quote
Rupert Soskin
Posted by Rupert Soskin
12th May 2009ce
18:03

Messages in this topic: