The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Silbury Hill - Most Plausible Explanation Yet
19 messages
Select a forum:
megadread wrote:
I read the post again and i just can't agree at all, the hardest way of getting rid of the "spoil" would to build Silbury with it, the easiest to heap the "spoil" in lots of smaller heaps that require no retaining walls or extra labour to deposit the chalk atop an ever increasing hill, anyone who's moved large amounts of soil like i have from time in my position as a landscaper will know this, why build in the problem on periodical maintenance.
If they wanted to get to the water surely digging ditches much like a moat and piling the soil alongside bank and ditch style, you could say henge like would have been a lot easier and logical way to do it.
I just can't take this theory serious at all, sorry.

No worries I respect your opinion and not being anyway engineering minded and with no practical experience I can't really comment on what you've said. However all I would say is it is a practical motive for building it and one which would have immense importance. The book makes lots of claims and expolres the points you have raised and in my mind dispels them in a way that make sense. Lots of other theories put forward are wild speculation with no evidence to back it up or even an actual reason. I am not anti ritual btw, in fact that's what fascinates me most but think this would have been seen as a ritual act in itself with the hill being a hugely sacred thing rather than just spoil from an egineering project.

No other thoery to my mind holds water.

Excuse the pun!!!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Gwass
4th May 2009ce
23:01

Messages in this topic: