The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cornwall Forum Start a topic | Search
Cornwall
Re: West Penwith (OT)
22 messages
Select a forum:
I live in West Penwith and have been following this story for some time. I'm glad it's been featured on this site.

Recent works near Men Scryfa have been reported to be an utter disaster, with a heavy handed approach to digging trenches. Jon Brookes from the National Trust (who has been quoted in the local press as saying that people from Penwith hate any change and are basically stupid) has even admitted that the digging has been badly done. Cattle grids have been popping up like magic. I'm quite a fan of the NT (they own a lot of land around here that would have been bought up by developers to stick holiday homes on) but I'm against their approach here. One of the ideas is to move cattle (away from the road they will now be allowed to roam on - a busy tourist road with a lot of crap drivers on at any time) whenever it gets foggy on the moors - anyone who's ever spent any time here will know that fog can come and go many times in a day. It's not feasible.

This does appear to be more about getting payments for grazing than anything else. I personally find it all quite heartbreaking.

Reply | with quote
Incoming Traveller
Posted by Incoming Traveller
29th January 2009ce
12:34

In reply to:

Re: West Penwith (OT) (thesweetcheat)

1 reply:

Re: West Penwith (OT) (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: