The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cornwall Forum Start a topic | Search
Cornwall
West Penwith heath project
22 messages
Select a forum:
Apologies if this is already known to people on here, but I have just come across a news story about plans to erect fences/hedges across parts of the open moorland in West Penwith (Tregeseal/Carn Kenidjack and Lanyon/Boskednan areas in particular) to allow the introduction of cattle to areas where there are prehistoric sites. As someone who spends most of my leave in West Penwith, this strikes me as an appalling idea. The cattle pose a threat to the monuments, as to a cow standing-stone = rubbing post not to mention the erosion/mud-bath potential. They also pose a threat to our access to the sites.

Cornwall CC together with the Heath Project have produced a leaflet called "Managing Archaeology and Historic Landscapes on West Cornwall's Rough Ground", which contains the following statement:

"Paths and tracks which pass over, or
close to, archaeological remains may
present a risk and may need to be
rerouted. Care is needed so that new
routes do not themselves affect sites or
features."

A website called "Save Penwith Moors" shows photos of newly erected barbed wire fences in the areas.

Links are contained in the News item:

http://www.themodernantiquaria[...]/news/lands_end_peninsula.html

Dunno if I'm worrying unnecessarily, but this looks like a disaster in the making. Any thoughts anyone?

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
27th January 2009ce
19:31

Messages in this topic: