The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Context of ancient sites
16 messages
Select a forum:
Actually, I disagree (not strongly though) I'm starting to think that what we have is a view of history which is "twisted" by the remaining evidence and in some cases by our interpretation of the evidence.

The early "ritual" monuments were chosen for their context in the environment and as such were not chosen for their particular defensive qualities.

However, places to live WOULD have been chosen for defensive reasons (as well as natural shelter etc.)

When the Iron Age came along a significant number os those earlier dwelling sites that were defensible etc. were re-used and we think of them as Iron age or later.

In the case of stones and ritual sites, those that were positioned in locations that became strategic in the Iron Age will have been used in the building of forts etc. Often removing all evidence of the previous use.

By looking at the recognised artifacts from a particular period only, we may be limiting our knowledge.

For example, many of the Ieron Age hill forts of the south are often looked at only in there iron age context. little is said or known of the sites use and purpose in the bronze age or earlier.

Reply | with quote
Posted by BrigantesNation
27th May 2002ce
12:13

In reply to:

Re: My problem (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: