The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Broad Stones (Clatford) Forum Start a topic | Search
15 messages
Select a forum:
Drat it, looks like I came back from travelling in Anglesey just in time. Mona’s great stones are nothing compared with the lost monuments of Wiltshire.

Before I left I discovered a huge lost henge on the North Wiltshire Downs without the use of a map. In fact I drove right through it.

For me, though, it’s always been enough to just discover these lost gems. I never feel the need to prove it. Seeing the look of disbelief on mates faces is enough.

In 1989 I discovered the stones of Millbarrow in a porch in Preshute.

And guess where I found the Manton ‘kistvaen’ from Thurnam’s book? Behind the filling station in Fyfield.

For the last 125 years, the Clatford circle has been right by the roadside in Overton.

And even though there’s nothing to be seen of Marden henge because it’s made of sand, it is now more important than Avebury because it never suffered ethnic cleansing. Oh, and as Jimi Hendrix would have said, it’s Stone Free!

It’s a good job we’re not hippies or people would think this was all wishful thinking.

Reply | with quote
Posted by fuzzbox
21st May 2002ce
18:33

1 reply:

Lost Temples (Pete G)

Messages in this topic: