The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Temple Beeld Forum Start a topic | Search
Temple Beeld
Re: Temple Beeld
9 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
fitzcoraldo wrote:
Hi G,
I was up at the Beeld today, I was fair nithered, the sharp end of autumn has definitely arrived. I've added a few more snaps and scribblings.
off to find me long johns.

f

Great stuff Fitz , I've done a quick check and the only likely astro stuff is the 240 bearing which gives a declination of - 15.7 close to the sun set at Samhain . Not quite as exciting as a solstice and considering it looks like the only one doesn't suggest it was intentional but 'it's subjective , some might say otherwise . There was a fair smattering of snow on the higher hills of Perthshire at the weekend .

Cheers G,
thanks for that.
truth be told, I spent a good while up there yesterday and as much as would really love this site to be ancient I kinda get the impression that only three of the stones are ancient and even they are not in a straight line, hence the pronounced arc of the wall. The two other stones are in a dead straight alignment with each other and the central stone but they have been dressed.
On the positive side the other three are undressed and could very well be ancient, why go to the trouble of only dressing two?
My best guess would be that the two dressed stones could be contemporary with the wall.

The other problematic thing is the lack of intervisibility with other monuments. I can't really think of a NYM monument that does not display a degree of intervisibility with one or more monuments.
I can't see this site being high on the archaeos excavation list, if it features at all, so I guess we'll never know, which is kinda nice because ancient or not, it's a lovely thing.

Reply | with quote
fitzcoraldo
Posted by fitzcoraldo
28th October 2008ce
16:11

In reply to:

Re: Temple Beeld (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: