The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cornwall Forum Start a topic | Search
Cornwall
Re: Best of the Best?
29 messages
Select a forum:
Blimey Juamei! You ask the easy ones, don't you!

East Cornwall, speak to Mr Hamhead, our resident expert. You might even get a guided tour across Bodmin if you're lucky! :-)

Lands End. Where to start?

Ok, from Men an Tol Studios (park at SW418344) there's a good 3 hour-ish circular walk that takes in Men an Tol, Men Scryfa, Four Parish Stone, Fenton Bebbibell Well (if you're so inclined and can find it), Nine Maidens of Boskednan, Ding Dong Mine, Bossiliack Barrow, Lanyon Quoit and West Lanyon Quoit.

Slightly further south (A30) there's the Blind Fiddler and Boscawen-un (a total must-see, IMHO). Even further south (B3315) there is Boleigh Fogou - phone ahead for appt., the Fiddlers, the Merry Maidens, Gun Rith and Tregiffian Burial Chamber in a cluster.

That's a busy day with an early start. But virtually everywhere you go there's something to be seen - standing stones galore, burial chambers, IA field systems. I've not mentioned Tregeseal circle, Zennor, Mulfra, Chun Quoits, Carn Euny village, Chysauster (NT entrance fee payable) yet, which are all must-sees.

Have fun - 2 days is nowhere near sufficient. A week isn't long enough for us these days, and I've seen a majority of the sites now - we've got a fortnight booked next month down there :-)

Reply | with quote
ocifant
Posted by ocifant
9th September 2008ce
09:52

In reply to:

Best of the Best? (juamei)

1 reply:

Re: Best of the Best? (Moth)

Messages in this topic: