The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cornwall Forum Start a topic | Search
Cornwall
Anyone familiar with the area around Men an Tol?
12 messages
Select a forum:
Last week we visited Men an Tol and the Nine Maidens in Cornwall. After walking up the path from Men an Tol to try to find the Nine Maidens, we (rather stupidly) turned right at the junction before the Nine Maidens rather than going straight on. We walked for about 20 minutes in the direction of Ding Dong mine before realising our mistake.

Anyhow, on the right of the boggy path we took, and about 10-15 minutes from the junction, I thought I could make out what looked a bit like a tumble down collection of about 5 largish stones, which at the time I thought might be the dug-out dolmen/circle mentioned in the descriptions of the walk to the Nine Maidens. Obviously it wasn't - we were on the wrong path, and found the real one when we went the right way.

In retrospect though, I have been wondering if the stones that I noticed might actually be something of interest. Does anyone know anything about this? It'll probably turn out they were just a random collection of boulders, but it would be nice to know. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos, and it is unlikely that we will be back down in Cornwall in the near future.

Reply | with quote
Squid Tempest
Posted by Squid Tempest
4th September 2008ce
15:56

Messages in this topic: