The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cholsey Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Cholsey Hill
Burrow, Barrow or Bullseye.
4 messages
Select a forum:
Hiya Scubi63,

There seems to be very little info about this one. Cholsey as a settlement and general area seems predominantly saxon in heritage (http://www.berkshirehistory.com/villages/cholsey.html) so a Saxon Burial might be a good guess.

There is prehistoric activity further afield towards Wallingford:

"Cromarty, A.M.; Barclay, A.; Lambrick, G. (2005) Late Bronze Age Ritual and Habitation on a Thames Eyot at Whitecross Farm, Wallingford: The Archaeology of the Wallingford Bypass, 1986-92. Thames Valley Landscapes Monograph S.
The site at Whitecross Farm, including timber structures located on the edge of the eyot, and a substantial midden and occupation deposit has been securely radiocarbon-dated to the late Bronze Age. The late Bronze Age artefact assemblages are suggestive of a high-status site, with a range of domestic and ritual activities represented. The bank of the Grim's Ditch earthwork was found to have preserved evidence of earlier settlement, dating to the Neolithic and Bronze Age, and a sequence of cultivation, including ard marks and 'cord-rig' cultivation ridges. Pottery and radiocarbon analysis dated the earthwork to the end of the late Iron Age or the early Roman period. A multi-period settlement, consisting of pits, a waterhole, postholes, gullies and field systems, was identified at Bradford's Brook, Cholsey. The main periods represented are late Bronze Age and Romano-British, while a small quantity of Saxon pottery indicates limited Saxon activity. A large pit containing late Bronze Age pottery, a cattle skull, waterlogged wood and plant remains, a complete loomweight and flint flakes has been interpreted as a waterhole. A series of radiocarbon dates were obtained for deposits within this feature. All three sites are discussed individually as well as within their local, regional and national contexts."
(source: http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/studies)

Given the monastic earthworks in cholsey, maybe it could be a medieval pillow mound? or as you say, a rifle range target? I think this all depends on how 'round' it was and how eroded it was.

Not much bronze age activity in the immediate area (i visited the remains of some barrows on the other side of the river thames near barracks farm many years ago).

I guess if I had to take an evens bet I'd go for a Saxon one, but it would just be a guess. And, your guess is as good as mine!

Regards

WFx

Reply | with quote
wysefool
Posted by wysefool
26th August 2008ce
12:58

Messages in this topic: