The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury & the Marlborough Downs Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury & the Marlborough Downs
Who should control Avebury?
6 messages
Select a forum:
The NT has hired Atkins, a large consultancy, to compile an Avebury Conservation Management Plan and is to consult the residents regarding it's formulation.

Seems fair enough, where it impacts on them, but I wonder where the line should be drawn? Personally I think anything solely to do with conservation and management of the WHS and the monuments are nothing to do with the locals and NT, EH and the Planning Authority shouldn't be painting it otherwise. Two recent instances of "local" input being actually malign - the Time Capsule (which EH tried to say was for the benefit of the locals) and the Bonds Garage development being approved by Avebury PC. (To understand how bad that was, imagine Amesbury Council approving the building of five houses within 200 yards of Stonehenge - the situation is identical!)

So, I reckon the residents should be fully consulted on visiting, parking, camping and such like..... BUT NOT ON ARCHAEOLOGY!

Comments anyone? ;)

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
14th June 2008ce
09:20

Messages in this topic: