The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Current favourite site
35 messages
Select a forum:
megadread wrote:
Though not as well travelled as some of you here, i have been around, and the best place is always home, well almost.
Derbyshire has such a variety of sites that i never tire of it, also the avebury area too.
So....
In joint first place i would place West kennet long barrow and the Oundle stone on stanton moor.
To stand atop the Oundle stone is something else, it leaves me lost for words everytime.
Though i have an interest in rock art, on the dozen or more occasions i have visited this site i have never once studied the carvings or photographed them, theres no point cos you will have no real memory of them anyway.
I must say though, the site is surrounded by alsorts of interesting stuff, not to mention the Nine ladies and Dol tor (my fav circle anywhere)
If the Bridestones still stood in all its glory, i would be like a pig in shit.

I also should point out, its easy to spend too much time at the other near by sites and neglect the Oundle stone, i would allow at least an hour and half here. : )

Reply | with quote
megadread
Posted by megadread
12th June 2008ce
22:43

In reply to:

Re: Current favourite site (megadread)

Messages in this topic: