The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Current favourite site
35 messages
Select a forum:
I recently managed to locate 2 sites in the same townland (Carrowleagh, Mayo) that I've looked for many times before. One is a near perfect wedge tomb hidden deep in a pine plantation and the other is a near perfect court tomb that is buried in the peat.

The court tomb still has its roof and the massive corbels that hold it aloft are incredible. The way that all the gaps in the structure are plugged up with well-fitting stones is a wonder to behold and puts this type of tomb into context.

So often you see a low skeleton of a court tomb and can't appreciate how amazing the original structure would have been.

I don't think it will last as a favourite site, because places like Glendruid will always have a special place in my mind, but for the moment it does hold the title of My Favourite Site.

One of these days I'll get around to adding the site to megalithomania!

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
12th June 2008ce
19:25

In reply to:

Current favourite site (goffik)

Messages in this topic: