The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Jersey Forum Start a topic | Search
Jersey
Re: La Pouquelaye de Faldouet Jersey
21 messages
Select a forum:
Hob wrote:
Vibes at sites? Combination of set and setting if you ask me.
Snap wrote:
Thats my take on it I am sure you scientists out there will start screaming abuse

Could do if you want, but I'd probably get telt off. Besides which, what would be the point?

Thing is, whilst not really having any truck with the whole New Agey style energy carry-on, I do consider there to be a grain of truth in what you say.

The earth does have a measurable electromagnetic field, and the fluctuations in the strength of this field do seem to vary from place to place and time to time. It makes sense to me to think that in the millennia before humans started ripping stuff out of the ground, the ambient e.m. fields would have been different to what they are today, and that the humans alive then may have been more able to perceive the changes in the ambient e.m. fields of some places. There are slight problems in associating this with the placement of megalithic monuments though, as ambient e.m. seems to change from one day to the next, with the rate of change also being variable. Not just variable in space, but also in time. Makes it a bit of a bugger to measure, and to replicate findings, apparently.

Anyway, even though all this may be so, it's still a heck of a stretch to link this shred of vaguely empirical evidence to the idea that there are 'energies' floating about that can somehow imprint human experience, and make it available for future re-experiencing by other people. Lethbridge had his thing about it, (and I'm often sceptical about his theories too...). I do know what you're on about, having had definite odd vibes at a few sites. I can usually rationalise them by reference to a combination of e.m. fields, amygdaloid overload in my own brain, weather, what mood I was in before, who's with me (or not), what I'd previously read/heard about the place all sorts of variables, all interacting in a way that makes any attempt at replication of the experience pointless, and thus not really suitable for study within what I understand as the current scientific paradigm. Still seemed real to me though. And that's good enough as far as I'm concerned. No need to proselytise about mystical energies, no need to get freaked. Whatever makes this shit happen, it seems to be incredibly fucking complicated. Probably too much so for relatively straightforward monkey brains like us to get our heads around. So we invent easy to grasp concepts to explain things. It's an evolutionary survival mechanism. Stops you from spending all day wondering what the lights in the sky are, and lets you concentrate on getting food/shelter/shagging etc.

So, as far as I'm concerned at least, there's not much truth to be found in trying to come up with 'one-size-fits-all' explanations for strange events. Like the old theoretical yarn about a hypothetical monkey in a rainforest who finds a discarded half empty can of fizzy pop, drinks the lovely sweet nectar inside, and spends the rest of it's life trying to find the tree upon which this strange fruit grew.

It might be possible that experiences/events can be somehow imprinted in time and space. I don't know. But I know that I don't know. And I know that much as I'd love to know, it's not ever likely to happen :)

To paraphrase J.B.S. Haldane: The universe is not only stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think.

The problem for proponents of the "it's all bollocks " theory i.e. imprinting of experiences / events in time and space can be stored and subsequently " read " by a human is unlikely ,theory . is tha tthey have to prove the negative .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
27th March 2008ce
20:30

Messages in this topic: