The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Newgrange Forum Start a topic | Search
Newgrange
Re: Newgrange: quartz and granite wall
67 messages
Select a forum:
I'm not sure what the motive would be to bring extra quartz in though? All O'Kelly maintained was that the passage tomb had been drum shaped and that quartz had been used on the front facing. Whether that was for 1/3 of the diameter or almost half shouldn't matter to him. In fact he even let the tourist board decide to cut into the entrance area and he finished this in limestone rather than quartz to show it wouldn't have looked like that.

Surely in all this time someone would have said 'yes, I drove the truck with all the quartz' or 'I saw a pile of quartz being dropped off'. This is the most controversial reconstruction in Irish history and O'Kelly has had more than his share of critics and character assassins, yet no one has dug up this smoking gun? The whole O'Kelly archive was opened up a few years ago, this would be a big operation to leave out.

Reply | with quote
CianMcLiam
Posted by CianMcLiam
17th July 2016ce
22:00

Messages in this topic: