The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wiltshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Wiltshire
Re: Route of the Sarsens.
26 messages
Select a forum:
jimit wrote:
Bit of a dilemma here. The "ramps" would have been too narrow to accommodate Stonerowing so dragging on rollers seems to be the less efficient alternative.
Looking at OS Explorer 130 again a thought occurs that the valley of the Avon could have been used, it is downhill all the way!
Of course it's not quite that simple, didn't I hear that the climate was drier then so the river/stream would be shallower and incapable of supporting rafts or boats. Would the dried mud in the summer be capable of supporting Stone rowing?

So many questions.

Must go now, my therapist suggests I need to rest and we are going to relax rolling sugar cubes on Twiglets......

Jim.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/erdp/schemes/esas/stage3/avon.htm

The river is one of the finest chalk rivers in England, with a pastoral landscape that has evolved over centuries through farming of the naturally fertile flood plain. The valley is relatively wet and low lying, with a tendency to flood in winter. The combinations of grassland, streams, small woods, scrub and willow car create a varied landscape of high value. The middle reaches of the river have the highest concentration of traditional water meadows in England and there are archaeological remains dating from prehistoric times to more recent industrial monuments.

Sounds pretty soggy to me..... I'd like to find out the vegetation around at that time; if it was thick, it may have blocked the route (there is also a view that the stones came between Knap Hill and Adam's Grave (SU 114 635)). Atkinson was all for coming down the Devizes road and into the valley's head.... I think he was the first to anchor Redhorn Hill as suitable....

Peace

Pilgrim

X

Reply | with quote
Pilgrim
Posted by Pilgrim
13th February 2008ce
10:11

In reply to:

Re: Route of the Sarsens. (jimit)

Messages in this topic: