The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Standing with Stones DVD
140 messages
Select a forum:
GLADMAN wrote:
summerlands wrote:
Rupert Soskin is hugely engaging as a presenter, and I really appreciated all the 'we'll never knows', so much more refreshing than those who only have half a clue but like to push hard their personal theories as fact.

Isn't it said that what defines a truly intelligent person is an outlook relating to something like 'the only thing I'm sure of it how much I don't know'? Clearly Rupert and Michael fall into this category and are a credit to 'stoneheads' everywhere.

I think one of the most intruiging aspects of possessing an interest in prehistory is that, more or less by definition, it is very, very difficult - if not genuinely impossible - to reconstruct a 'complete picture' of any individual site, let alone epoch. So we think, 'perhaps the next site will tell me more?' Sometimes it provides another piece of the jigsaw, always it generates enthusiasm for the next, an automatic declaration that, unlike the claims of the monotheistic religions, we do not know it all! The pursuit of knowledge. How wonderful. Science alone can only go so far, and religious dogma has historically performed such an infamously thorough job of discouraging the academic from pursuing the task that it has taken a few true mavericks - Thom , Burl, Cope etc - to prise open the lid of the 'pandora's box' where so much of our ancient heritage has languished unseen and let us see what's inside. What an amazing, precious, priceless gift. The gift of curiosity... a need to know more, to think. The very essence of humanity.

So if Rupert and Michael have intruiged anyone enough to want to go to those sites they should be more than happy.

Womderful! Bravo!

Reply | with quote
summerlands
Posted by summerlands
5th February 2011ce
18:45

In reply to:

Re: Standing with Stones DVD (GLADMAN)

1 reply:

Re: Standing with Stones DVD (Rupert Soskin)

Messages in this topic: