The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Standing with Stones DVD
140 messages
Select a forum:
ocifant wrote:
Well, I've watched it now. What can I say?

An excellent DVD, well worth the money, but at the same time it left me wanting...

I can't help feeling there's TV series in there somewhere - so many sites were included, many only in passing but so many more were omitted. I can understand the reasoning - as was said in the film, we could still be watching in a year's time! So why not?

Thanks for that ocifant. If you've watched the interview and the original Pilot in the Special Features, you'll know that it was our original intention to make a series for television. To cut a long story short, although there was interest in our original idea of a series of 10 minute shorts that ran 'till we ran out of sites, the writing on the wall seemed to be that our idea would be taken and twisted out of all recognition from our original intent. So we walked away at that time. Whatever got done had to be sensitive to the spirit of these marvellous places. Our instinct was proven right by my experiences a couple of years ago when I was involved with making a doc for Channel 5 - it's a jungle out there!

Anyway, a couple of years ago we just said: "sod it!" let's do it anyway. Which was crazy 'cos it's taken those two years and cost a lot of money and it'll be some time before we see it again. NOT that we begrudge that - we have had a complete blast making this film - but the point is that it would cost a broadcaster 10 or 20 times as much to make and there's the rub, it all comes down to money. However, now that we've shown that it can be done and that there's an interest out there, we are optimistic that 'Standing with Stones' could prove that a TV series might be well worth commissioning.

We won't be able to do anything like this again - not on our own and with our own money anyway. This was a crazy one off. Let's hope we can move to the next stage and get that commission.

Reply | with quote
Michael Bott
Posted by Michael Bott
27th January 2008ce
21:28

In reply to:

Re: Standing with Stones DVD (ocifant)

Messages in this topic: