The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Crowan Beacon Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Crowan Beacon
Re: Error! &c
6 messages
Select a forum:
On New Years Eve while everyone was sober I asked some old Crowan residents about Black Rock. They were quite certain that it is the outcrop close to the old Blackrock Methodist chapel, now a B&B at the crossroads at gr 661349. The outcrop close to the chapel is where the Methodists preached in the 18thC. Those I spoke to were quite adamant that Crowan Beacon is not the same place as Black Rock. Unfortunately although John Wesley does mention Crowan in his he does not say where he preached.

The following extracts are fun though...

Rev Mr John Wesley's Journal
Monday 9th September 1765 About one I preached at Porkellis; at six in Crowan. I admire the depth of grace in the generality of this people; so simple, so humble, so teachable, so serious, so utterly dead to the world!

September Sat. 13. 1766 — I preached at noon in the new House at Crowan, it being a very stormy day.

Wesley letter

To Thomas Rankin [23]

LONDON, November 6, 1764.

DEAR TOMMY,--If the Crowan or Buryan Society are able to bear the expense of building themselves, we have no objection; but we must not increase our debt this year. This is what we determined. If you do build, build large enough. In general, we do not pay rent out of the public stock, but get help from friends in the circuit. For once we may allow forty shillings.

I shall write to Plymouth Dock this post. I hope John Catermole (a sound man) will come and help you. I shall either mend William Darney or end him. He must not go on in this manner.

Spread the little tracts wherever you go. You know the solid good which results therefrom. Go on; spend and be spent for a good Master.--I am, dear Tommy,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Andy Norfolk
3rd January 2008ce
12:39

In reply to:

Re: Error! &c (chris s)

Messages in this topic: