The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Crowan Beacon Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Crowan Beacon
Re: Error! &c
6 messages
Select a forum:
chris s wrote:
In my defence, was always called Black Rock by my father and members of my family, who farmed the area most of the last century! Though happy to be corrected. Andy, do you know of Uncle Ned's Rock at Bolenowe?
Chris

Sorry if I was a bit keen there! The carn I've referred to is what is known as Black Rock now in Crowan village, where I live. Crowan Beacon is seen as being a quite different location as I've said. I don't know of any old references to Carnsew or Carndhu as a place name which might help settle this one and there are no useful clues on old maps. Other people I've spoken to are also quite sure that Black Rock is the same carn I think it is. However there could actually be another candidate. I was told yesterday that someone I was talking to - in a gale on Crowan beacon - was taken years ago to see another black rock and he says it was just that, a round black rock.

I don't know of Uncle Ned's Rock at Bolenowe. Whose uncle and where?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Andy Norfolk
10th December 2007ce
12:15

In reply to:

Re: Error! &c (chris s)

1 reply:

Re: Error! &c (chris s)

Messages in this topic: