The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Men Amber Forum Start a topic | Search
Men Amber
Damn sure this slots into Kernow's megalithscape
9 messages
Select a forum:
It all seemed to come together in my mind this afternoon, whilst sat astride the wall by the Nine Maidens in the low fog and high wind of a Cornish December....wondering if I was actually gonna be brave enough to leave the car capsule for an extended period, my eye flicked across the Men Amber and I noticed that the trackways crossed there!
As I say in the site posting, I'd been aware of this site from a distance for years - it really stands out along the ridge when viewed from the cliffs and Crane Castle, near Portreath some 11km away (what is that in old money?)...and I often wondered what and where IS that? Yet it wasn't until relatively recently that I visited it purely by accident on a wholely different psychogeographical undertaking...a recent flu bound reacquaintance with the works of TC Lethbridge fresh in the mind, I reconsidered the importance of sight markers in the landscape...
Therefore I shall babble forth my evidence, and hope you find it both good and true....
1 - SIGHTING - Not only is it visible from the coast to the north west at Crane Castle, it is certainly visible from Tregonning Hill nearer to Mount's Bay...and occupying as it does the last lower ridge of the Carnmenellis granite, it has advantageous sighting in directions that the obscured Carnmenellis and Crowan Beacon do not enjoy, being hidden behind in the uplands...
2 - TRACKWAYS - Just at the crossroads of two rights of way, both of strongly arguable antiquity - one being a hollow way running straight up from below and traceable with ease in modern road , path and field systems to the base of Tregonning Hill and further east to near the Fal; the other being a ridgeway that equally leads from hilltop beacon to river basin, past the Prospidnick longstone...check 1:50 000 sheet 203 and see what you think...
3 - NOMENCLATURE - why is it a 'men' and not a 'carn' or 'tor'? Unusual in this area...
4 - VANTAGE - anyone approaching along the trackway from the eastern interior would suddenly at this point come upon a vista of Mount's Bay, the Tregonning and Godolphin Hills outcrop, distant Penwith, and the Atlantic around St. Ives Bay...a direct inland route from the Falmouth area...additionally, it's damn impressive and also isolated in an under-explored slice of mid-west badlands!
and more at http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/10833/men_amber.html
Sorry about the photos, I was impressed when I got there, as I say purely by accident on another mission, but hadn't quite made the click...over to everybody? Mr. Hamhead?
Chris

Reply | with quote
chris s
Posted by chris s
7th December 2007ce
01:05

Messages in this topic: