The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Swallowhead Springs Forum Start a topic | Search
Swallowhead Springs
A cynic writes..
25 messages
Select a forum:
I don't mean to be a misery but I feel a bit cynical about Uncle Rob's post about the watersheds near Swallowhead Springs. "The higher land to the south-west of here is the point where the main watersheds of England meet, which is to say that water poured on the ground will flow equally into the Irish Sea, English Channel and North Sea."
I would love this romantic thought to be true. But considering the Thames is north of here, I'd like to see how any local streams could make it past that to the north sea. So it isn't much of England's watershed. And their journey across wales to the irish sea would also be quite a feat (ok ok so they might get to the severn estuary but that's not really the same thing). Am I just being picky and arguing over words. It's true I guess that various rivers round here do go in different directions - like the thames rises remarkably far to the west to end up in the channel, and the bath avon goes to the severn estuary and the avon near stonehenge down to the south. But..
.. oh fuff I just dispute pinning this down to the swallowhead springs. Maybe I need to shut up and get poring over some maps.
sorry.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
24th November 2007ce
09:38

2 replies:

ok (Rhiannon)
Re: A cynic writes.. (mercian)

Messages in this topic: