The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbaby Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbaby
Re: Whatever happened to Silbaby?
42 messages
Select a forum:
yes your right.
In the case of the willows, some of them had developed large rotten branches that were falling into the river and blocking the water flow and were a danger to the deer that use the dry river beds.
Mr Hues took the opportunity to pollard the trees leading up to swallowhead and one near the springs. (Yes pollarding and coppicing are alive in Wiltshire)
He left the largest willow with the offerings for pollarding another year.
While this was being done he removed all the old fencing and replaced the riverbanks with new wire fences.

He has done a lot to make access to this area over the last few years including putting sarsens in the river to create a stepping stone bridge and leaving an area around WKLB as set aside.
He didn't deserve to be attacked by some wiccan high priestess from Reading in the press the way he was.

As to Silbaby, it is possible that it is a very old mound but only an excavation will reveal the truth.
One archaeo I know is toying with the idea of putting a trench down the southern side.
I'd like to raise the finance to pay for a core sample from the top to the base of the mound, which reminds me, I'd better go and pay the idiot tax in the hope of winning the lotto tonight :)
PeteG

Reply | with quote
Pete G
Posted by Pete G
1st December 2007ce
17:44

In reply to:

Re: Whatever happened to Silbaby? (Cursuswalker)

Messages in this topic: