The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
This is a massive thread and I haven't got time to read it all right now, so I'm probably asking something that somebody as already asked ...

What are these great big lump of rock with the writing on like? And where abouts have they been placed at each site?

I find placing a stone sign at, say, a stone circle a bit silly. I know it probably blends in better, but if it's too close and too obvious then people will start to think that it's part of the monument. The next step from that is people thinking it's ok to write on part of the monument.

Furthermore, a large foreign piece of stone is going to alter photographsom this point on and could be confusing. Does anyone have a picture of one of these 'signs'?

As to the offerings issue, everyone knows my view. I don't like finding them when I visit sites. In my mind they should be classed as litter. The odd daisy chain is fine - unless daisies are foreign to the area - it shows that people have spent time there. What I do object to is bouquets of flowers in plastic wrappings and ribbons. I don't like tealights being left for animals to hurt themselves on. I don't like finding wax dripping down the stones.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
28th June 2007ce
05:51

Messages in this topic: