The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Rhiannon!

Rhiannon wrote:
ooh I thought your posts were very interesting Paulus. and a view from a quite different angle. It's interesting to see that old photo, which reminds us that people have been leaving Stuff at sites for a long time. And people have been getting irritated by it for a long time too.

But the instance of folk being annoyed with the St. Helen's Well case was the usual xtian one. Animism was degraded into 'superstition' - a title thrown at people who could then be laughed at, or ridiculed. It worked very well. Local folk obviously had always been doing this sorta thing; but the "incomers" (for want of a better term) didn't want it. 'Culture', it seems, was becoming 'managed' into acceptable portions even in them days!

Rhiannon wrote:
But one of the things it made me think of - I think (just) one of the reasons it admittedly tends to irritate me when I go somewhere and find a tea light abandoned, or a crisp packet, or a handful of flowers, or a corn dolly, is because I've generally travelled quite a long way to see that place. and when you haven't been somewhere before there's always this hope and expectation that it might be Nice and all that you want from it (whether wild or spiritual or neatly mown or whatever). But sometimes you get disappointed because some git has burnt their car out nearby, or there's a big 'KEEP OUT' sign, or the remains of someone's picnic, or a handful of assorted swallowhead springs style stuff. So your hope is ruined and you're faced with reality. And sometimes I go to these places for a bit of peace and quiet and to escape reality, so it pisses me off.

Hmmmm...intriguing. When I go to a site I aint visited before (unless it's truly fuctup big-time) the natural substance, the sub-strata, the grasses, trees, rocks, waters, are the first things that I see and feel, so to speak. This is the very first thing which occurs to me. The candles, glass bottles, plastics, etc, and the impact they have on the site are then perceived. It's as if I don't experience them until my visual cortex fixes onto the substance which has given me a feel of the place: a secondary response. It's quick of course - only a few seconds betwen the two. Weird...I've never really thought of that. It's as if the surface mess of humans is an overlay onto the site, easy removed - and certainly done so with prompt and verbal exclamations ("Bloody tourists! - "Bloody NewAgers ...bloody this - bloody that!" Rant rant!, etc) And then, the site is mine again. I know that many folk here don't go for the old

Reply | with quote
Paulus
Posted by Paulus
27th June 2007ce
13:20

Messages in this topic: