The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
slumpystones wrote:
It ultimately comes down to commonsense.

Do you know how many times I've read those very words in the Daily Mail? ;)

slumpystones wrote:
There are no definite lines between them, just commonsense.

Interestingly, I think if the arguments against offerings were made clearer, and presented in a companionable manner, a lot of offering-leavers would probably come round to that point of view and exercise a little more "common sense" about the kinds of item they leave.

slumpystones wrote:
My only real concern is for the future, and setting precedents. Small bunches lead to big bunches, lead to lots of big bunches. Okay, a cracking compost heap nearby, but not what most people, in my opinion, want to see at any SAM.

Well I agree. I wouldn't want to see any sites polluted by mounds of rotting junk. But given how few people in the UK can manage so much as getting off their fat arses to wander down to the local McDonald's, I don't think we're in any danger of a massive invasion of plastic flower wielding neo-pagans flooding our ancient sites.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
27th June 2007ce
12:39

In reply to:

Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use? (slumpystones)

Messages in this topic: