The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
CianMcLiam wrote:
Personally I find that 'externalising' emotions towards a site by leaving tat behind shows contempt

That's an non sequitur. One can't express contempt without intending to do so. You could reasonably argue that it's ignorant, misguided, ill-informed, inconsiderate.... but to argue that it's contemptuous really indicates that you've left rationality at the door. You've demonised the people with whom you disagree, and you're projecting all kinds of unfounded negative assumptions onto them.

CianMcLiam wrote:
those who find it offensive/disrespectful can take a running jump I suppose.

You suppose. Ever engaged them in dialogue or attempted to explain your point of view in a respectful and friendly fashion?

CianMcLiam wrote:
I've nothing against people scattering flowers, dolls, positive energy or whatever while they visit but I don't see where an argument can be drawn that they are entitled to leave their stuff behind when they leave.

Well no, you're clearly not interested in looking at the issue from any position other than your own. I can see I'm wasting my breath. You don't have to agree with someone in order to respect their integrity and their rationality, you know.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
27th June 2007ce
12:34

In reply to:

Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use? (CianMcLiam)

Messages in this topic: