The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
"The presence of people picnicking at a site or taking photographs is, to many, far more intrusive than finding a couple of flowers left at the base of a stone."

Oh come, come.
You go there, you impact negatively on others, as you're bound to by visiting, you go home and that's the end of it.

Which is potentially far worse than a couple of flowers. I can safely say I've had my time at many an ancient site ruined by the presence of other people, but never by the presence of a couple of scattered daffodils.

nigelswift wrote:
Leaving stuff is perpetuating your negative impact, transmittingit to who knows how many successive visitors for no good reason.

Ah, so negative impact is OK, so long as it's on your terms?

nigelswift wrote:
And here's the rub: WHY do you leave it?
Because you think a deity will appreciate it that way?
'Course not, its because you think OTHERS will see it.

Personally, I don't leave anything at all. But to assume that others will leave things in order to attract attention is highly presumptuous. I would suggest that for many people, it's a simple ritualistic act that allows them to externalise an internal emotional response. Whether someone else notices their offering is potentially neither here nor there. Frankly, your desire to project highly negative motivations onto such people seems to suggest that you hold them in contempt and are predisposed towards seeing them in an entirely negative light. That's what they call prejudice.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
27th June 2007ce
12:08

In reply to:

Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use? (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: