The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
Pilgrim wrote:

I disagree, I'm afraid. I have a right to visit these sites in their natural setting. That's not extremist or intolerant.

For the second time of stating..... I didn't say otherwise. I said it can create the impression of extremism and intolerance.

Pilgrim wrote:
If I tie a doll to a tree, that is extremist - it's taken something that was of one aspect, and forced it into a different configuration.

A bit like the circle-builders then? ;)

Pilgrim wrote:
Plastic dolls and other non-biodegradable mementoes are not natural; in fact the converse is true. They smack of ego - Look! look! I was here, and I'm trying to be immortal - and a lack of consideration.

While I wouldn't defend the leaving of plastic at ancient sites, you do need to understand the mind-set that's involved here. It's not necessarily an act of ego or inconsideration - it can simply be a failure to grasp the issues at hand. If people aren't educated, then they can't be considerate, because they lack the frame of reference. Don't assume that everyone is as intelligent and well-informed as yourself.

Pilgrim wrote:
If I threw plastic into a hedge on the highway and was seen by a policeman, I could be done for littering. Just because these people have a world-view that includes "offerings" doesn't give them the right to spoil my appreciation of the natural setting.

It's that word again! No it doesn't give them the "right", any more than you have the "right" to dictate how someone else interacts with an ancient site.

Pilgrim wrote:
He's been quoted before on this forum, but here he is again:

Chief Seattle said: "Take only memories, leave nothing but footprints."

I guess he said that on one of the days that his tribe weren't leaving offerings at their sacred sites then. ;)

Peace

Pilgrim

X

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
27th June 2007ce
11:11

Messages in this topic: