The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
Mustard wrote:

I agree. But I think that arguing that "nothing" should be left at ancient sites creates an impression of an extremist and intolerant approach (rightly or wrongly), which in turn alienates the very people that you need to reach out to in order to promote considerate and low-impact behaviour.

Hi, Mustard,

I disagree, I'm afraid. I have a right to visit these sites in their natural setting. That's not extremist or intolerant. That's natural. If I tie a doll to a tree, that is extremist - it's taken something that was of one aspect, and forced it into a different configuration. Plastic dolls and other non-biodegradable mementoes are not natural; in fact the converse is true. They smack of ego - Look! look! I was here, and I'm trying to be immortal - and a lack of consideration. If I threw plastic into a hedge on the highway and was seen by a policeman, I could be done for littering. Just because these people have a world-view that includes "offerings" doesn't give them the right to spoil my appreciation of the natural setting. He's been quoted before on this forum, but here he is again:

Chief Seattle said: "Take only memories, leave nothing but footprints."

Peace

Pilgrim

X

Reply | with quote
Pilgrim
Posted by Pilgrim
27th June 2007ce
10:52

Messages in this topic: